Meditation and dreams

Hey Edgar. In a recent conversation you expressed interest in there being some connection between meditation and dream experiences. Could you say more about that please?

Glossary Terms: 
Edgar Reyes's picture

Hi Thom,

Yes, thanks for bringing this up.  I've been meditating for years now... but I'm not sure if I'm any good at it, honestly.  I wonder what I can expect from my dream life if I do it correctly... or, is there a specific meditation "technique" that will help me remember my dreams better and/or be more lucid while in the dream state?

I'd appreciate any light you can shed on this topic!  Thanks

Have you seen any correlation between meditating and dream recall so far? What is it that makes you consider that there's a relationship between the two?

Regards,

Thom

Edgar Reyes's picture

I guess I expect the calm and poise that I sometimes feel during meditation to carry over to my dream life.  I have a very active mind that is rarely under control (I often find that IT controls ME), but when I can still it, or quiet it, I feel that I am closer to reality than when it is just a wild storm.  So, I have a hunch that if I can calm it down and remain poised in the subtle world (as in meditation) then I will be more likely to see what's actually there instead of what my stormy mind is creating.

Hi Edgar,

Realizing how much of activity in "dreams" is a repetition of habitual activities we engage in during the day it's possible to use this to your advantage. If you undertake some new habit and repeat it enough then it's only a matter of  time before you find yourself egaged in it during sleep as well. You've already proven it when you remember dreams where you're doing something you do all the time during the day. So in this case you undertake a habit which may make little or no sense in mundane daily life but which if you do it in your dreams could remind you you're dreaming ... this could then remind you in the dream to become more aware in that state and to then try some experiment. Could be useful.

Thom