You Snooze, You Might Not Lose

Michael C. Willis's picture

Most adults, during sleep, begin a dream period called REM sleep every 1.5 hours or so. During REM sleep, your Subtle World experiences (dreams) can get very intense. Breathing and heart rates go up and your physical brain is more active. According to William Buhlman in his book Adventures Beyond the Body, one of the best times to have an out-of-body experience (OBE) is early in the morning “after two or three REM periods (three to five hours) have passed”. He goes on to say, “The scientific correlation between REM periods and out-of-body experiences is yet to be confirmed; however, reports linking the two are commonplace”. 

My experience has been that I tend to remember dreams more often during the above mentioned times, and more generally, after waking up and going back to sleep. Sometimes I’ll wake up to roll over and get comfortable, sometimes it’s a bathroom visit, but typically I do find that Buhlman’s information is correct in that I remember my dreams more often at these times. If you are interested in a technique of his that utilizes these facts to induce out-of-body experiences, I highly suggest reading the book for details, but just know that it takes a fair amount of discipline to follow the instructions, but success in having an OBE is more likely. 

If you aren’t quite ready to dive into the deep end with that, here’s something to consider, as it doesn’t take much effort at all. I myself have had very vivid dreams after hitting the snooze button on the alarm clock. Yep - right after saying (sometimes out loud), “Ugh, just 10 more minutes!”. For most people this is a very mundane part of the day that rarely gets attention, but it could be the best part if you use your time wisely.

When you hit the snooze button on your alarm, phone, chicken, whatever the device, you will re-enter sleep with a consciousness that is just a little closer to the waking state by reason of you just having been awake moments ago. Your brain will be more active (and thus more aware) compared to the deep sleep you may experience just before a REM period. This is the perfect time to use your targeting technique to have an OBE. It may take some practice - be dedicated and your persistence will pay off.

Give it a shot. You have nothing to lose and everything to gain. If you meet with any success please post about it here and describe your experience to inspire and share with others!